We are currently seeking experienced Commercial Officers to join our teams in Bristol and Yeovil. If you have experience in running and supporting procurements for Air, Sea, Land, or Strategic Enabling Projects, we encourage you to apply now!
This is a great opportunity to start or advance your career in the Civil Service. We have a wide range of roles available within both DE&S and SDA, working on projects in support of the British Armed Forces. These projects cover everything from disaster relief and reconstruction to peacekeeping and humanitarian aid.
Please note that some positions may only be open to Sole UK Nationals and successful applicants may need to pass Developed Vetting clearance.
Some attendance at the stated site may be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying. Highlight key achievements, relevant experience, and applied skills and knowledge in specific sections.
- Developing Invitation to Tender documentation, negotiating terms, pricing, and placing contracts up to £2.5M in accordance with Ministry of Defence policy.
- Supporting the development of new Procurement Strategies through market analysis and collaboration with other teams in DE&S.
- Managing Category A-D contracts and ensuring contract obligations are met.
- Monitoring supplier performance in accordance with Contract Management Plans.
- Contributing to wider Commercial function and business improvement activities.
- Communicating with internal and external stakeholders.
- Managing staff, providing advice, coaching, and development.
To be successful, you must meet the following essential criteria:
- Previous experience in sourcing, delivering, and managing contracts.
- The ability to manage staff and provide support and advice on development.
- Proficient IT skills, including Microsoft Office or equivalent.
In addition, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Tender and Bid Process
- Contract Management
- Working Together
- Managing a Quality Service
- 25 days' annual leave +1 day per year up to 30 days
- Flexible and hybrid working options
- Market-leading employer pension contribution
- Annual performance-based bonus and recognition awards
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications
- Support for progression
- Range of discounts
- Volunteering days
- Enhanced parental leave schemes
If you believe you have the skills and experience to excel as a Commercial Officer, apply today!
10 Interview Questions You Might Get Asked
These are questions that we think might come up at some point during the interview process. It's worth prepping answers for the questions below, as well as other key areas you think will be important to secure the role.
- Can you provide an example of a procurement project you have managed from start to finish?
- How do you ensure that contract obligations are met in line with business requirements?
- Can you describe your experience in negotiating terms and pricing for contracts?
- How do you stay up-to-date with market trends and developments in Defence Equipment?
- Can you give an example of when you have had to manage staff and provide advice and support on their development?
- What IT systems and programmes are you proficient in?
- How do you ensure supplier performance management in accordance with contract management plans?
- Can you provide an example of a time when you had to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders?
- How do you contribute to business improvement activities within the Commercial function?
- Can you describe your experience in developing Invitation to Tender documentation?
5 Questions You Could Ask
Based on the job description above, here are 5 questions we think you could ask during your interview. Use them as a guide to help you write your own questions.
Remember: Always have at least 5 questions prepared for the interview. If you do not, you run the risk of looking unprepared.
- What are the key projects that I will be working on as a Commercial Officer?
- Can you provide more information about the types of contracts I will be sourcing, delivering, and managing?
- What level of delegation will I have for contract placement and negotiation?
- Can you explain the process for developing new Procurement Strategies and how I will be involved?
- What opportunities are there for career progression and development within the Commercial function?
Location: BS34, Filton, South Gloucestershire
Posted: 2023-10-23 11:42:10
Salary: £34800 - £37400/annum (plus generous benefits)
Salary Per: Annum
Salary Min: 34800.00
Salary Max: 37400.00
Benefits: plus generous benefits)
Job Type: Permanent
FT or PT: Full Time
Latest Blog Posts
Lisa Owiaji - Posted on 11th November 2023 at 20:11
The UK Civil Service Fast Stream program represents an exceptional opportunity for graduates aspiring to shape the future of public service. R...
Lisa Owiaji - Posted on 11th November 2023 at 18:35
Welcome to the civil service! As you embark on this new journey, here are ten crucial tips to help you navigate and thrive in your new role:...
Lisa Owiaji - Posted on 16th November 2023 at 17:29
A career in the UK Civil Service is more than just a job; it's a commitment to public service, and it starts with a well-navigated application process. As you consider this career path, understandi...
Lisa Owiaji - Posted on 5th November 2023 at 18:53
The UK Civil Service is renowned not only for offering a chance to contribute to the public good but also for providing its employees with a robust benefits and pension package. These benefits are ...
Lisa Owiaji - Posted on 5th November 2023 at 18:30
Embarking on a career in the civil service can be one of the most rewarding decisions you can make. The ...