Electronic TechnicianQuick Apply
MPI is currently seeking a permanent Medical & Dental Service Technician to be based in Catterick, North Yorkshire. The role offers a salary of £29,455, with the potential to increase to £32,000 within available pay bands.
The main responsibilities of the role include inspecting, installing, servicing, and repairing various types of medical, dental, and veterinary equipment for air, land, and maritime use. The majority of the work will be carried out at customer sites.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE JOB
- Plan and carry out scheduled equipment servicing and inspections at customer sites.
- Plan and carry out unscheduled servicing, repairs, and tests in consultation with customers.
- Manage and coordinate manpower and resources to meet targets and minimize equipment downtime.
- Make engineering decisions on equipment, including withdrawing from use when safety is a concern.
- Act as a Subject Matter Expert on equipment care and maintenance, records keeping, and future equipment requirements.
- Be a Radiation Protection Supervisor for the team and advise customers on radiation safety.
- Keep up to date with equipment servicing requirements as detailed in relevant publications.
- Use the inhouse medical and dental management database to plan work schedules, maintain equipment histories, order spares, and manage calibration.
- Raise and control all necessary maintenance and performance records.
- Maintain locally held test equipment and administer contracts for servicing and calibration.
- Maintain stocks of office consumables and Personal Protective Equipment.
- Maintain COSHH management and risk assessments.
- Maintain leased vehicles held locally and coordinate servicing and repairs.
- Act as storekeeper for received spares and administer equipment repairs with OEMs.
- Carry out training as required and mentor new starters and apprentices.
- For remote locations, arrange building maintenance, off-site equipment repair, and attend safety and security meetings.
- Comply with local radiation rules.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Recognized and accredited qualifications in electrical or electronic engineering.
- Completion of relevant training courses and ability to learn and process information.
- Ability to read, understand, and implement technical documentation.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to prioritize workload.
INTELLECTUAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB
- Extensive knowledge of various medical, dental, and veterinary equipment types and models.
- Ability to follow technical instructions and troubleshoot complex systems.
- Autonomy in scheduling work and prioritizing repairs.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing schedules and priorities.
- Knowledge of legislative requirements and technical documentation.
COMMUNICATION DEMANDS OF THE JOB
- Excellent communication skills to interact with various individuals and organizations.
- Flexibility in communication style with military personnel, civil servants, and OEMs.
- Ability to communicate internally with team members and other departments.
- Proficiency in telephone and email communication.
- Driving up to 30,000 work miles per year.
- Manual handling of heavy equipment and limited access locations.
- Movement of equipment on ships and submarines with limited space.
- Possible overnight stays due to distance from work location.
- Work location changes daily, requiring adaptability to different conditions and regulations.
- Often working alone, necessitating self-reliance and adaptability.
- Clinical work environment with infection risks.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Accredited background in electronic or electrical engineering.
- Full UK/EU Driving Licence.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
10 Interview Questions You Might Get Asked
These are questions that we think might come up at some point during the interview process. It's worth prepping answers for the questions below, as well as other key areas you think will be important to secure the role.
- What qualifications do you have in either electrical or electronic engineering?
- Have you completed the Defence School of Electronic & Mechanical Engineering course?
- What experience do you have in inspecting, installing, servicing, and repairing medical, dental, and veterinary equipment?
- How do you plan and carry out scheduled equipment servicing and inspections?
- Can you describe a time when you had to make an on-the-spot engineering decision regarding equipment safety?
- Are you familiar with the Army Equipment Support Publications, Defence Infrastructure Notices, and Joint Service Publications?
- Do you have experience using Perseus, the medical and dental management database?
- How do you ensure the calibration and serviceability of test equipment?
- What experience do you have in maintaining records and documentation as required by JSP 473 and AESPs?
- Have you worked as a Radiation Protection Supervisor before? If so, can you explain your responsibilities in that role?
- How do you manage and coordinate manpower and resources to meet targets and reduce equipment downtime?
- Can you describe your experience and skills in fault-finding and troubleshooting complex medical and dental equipment?
- How do you prioritize your workload and communicate with customers in a changing environment?
- Have you ever mentored or trained new starters or apprentices?
- Are you comfortable working in a variety of environments, including clinical settings and on ships or submarines?
- Can you explain your experience in managing the repair and calibration of equipment with OEMs and contractors?
- How do you ensure compliance with local radiation rules and maintain COSHH management and risk assessments?
- Are you familiar with the intellectual demands and scope of equipment types in this role?
- How do you stay up to date with current equipment servicing requirements and technical documentation?
- Do you have experience working as a lone worker and being adaptable to different work environments?
- What experience do you have in communicating with a wide range of individuals and organizations?
- How do you prioritize and manage your time to complete scheduled and unscheduled work?
- Can you describe any experience you have with manual handling and driving?
- What is your experience with overnight stays for work purposes?
- Do you have a full UK/EU driving license?
- Are you proficient in Microsoft Office applications?
5 Questions You Could Ask
Based on the job description above, here are 5 questions we think you could ask during your interview. Use them as a guide to help you write your own questions.
Remember: Always have at least 5 questions prepared for the interview. If you do not, you run the risk of looking unprepared.
- What are the specific responsibilities for this role?
- What qualifications or certifications are required for this position?
- What is the salary range and potential for salary increase?
- What is the work environment like for this role?
- Can you provide more information on the training and development opportunities available?
Location: DL9, Easby, North Yorkshire
Posted: 2023-10-10 09:49:38
Salary: £29455 - £32000/annum
Salary Per: Annum
Salary Min: 29455.00
Salary Max: 32000.00
Job Type: Permanent
FT or PT: Full Time
Latest Blog Posts
Lisa Owiaji - Posted on 11th November 2023 at 20:11
The UK Civil Service Fast Stream program represents an exceptional opportunity for graduates aspiring to shape the future of public service. R...
Lisa Owiaji - Posted on 11th November 2023 at 18:35
Welcome to the civil service! As you embark on this new journey, here are ten crucial tips to help you navigate and thrive in your new role:...
Lisa Owiaji - Posted on 16th November 2023 at 17:29
A career in the UK Civil Service is more than just a job; it's a commitment to public service, and it starts with a well-navigated application process. As you consider this career path, understandi...
Lisa Owiaji - Posted on 5th November 2023 at 18:53
The UK Civil Service is renowned not only for offering a chance to contribute to the public good but also for providing its employees with a robust benefits and pension package. These benefits are ...
Lisa Owiaji - Posted on 5th November 2023 at 18:30
Embarking on a career in the civil service can be one of the most rewarding decisions you can make. The ...