Data Visualisation Reporter/Developer, London
Bloomberg News is seeking a Data Visualisation Reporter/Developer in London who is skilled at creatively telling stories through visual elements and has the technical abilities to bring these ideas to life through data analysis and web development.
In this role, you will present data-driven insights using charts, maps, and other creative data visualizations to help readers understand news events. You will collaborate not only with the London team but also with Bloomberg News Data Visualization colleagues in various locations around the world such as New York, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taipei, San Francisco, and Washington D.C.
Our team values collaboration and individuals who are motivated to work with others and contribute during breaking news situations. While you don't need to be an expert in everything, you should have a skillset that enables you to create creative and impactful visual stories. Experience with mapping, 3D, motion graphics, illustration, or any other creative technology that enhances narrative forms is welcome.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about reporting on issues that are significant to readers in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, as well as a global audience.
In this role, you will:
- Utilize your curiosity, technical abilities, and design sensibilities to create compelling visual stories
- Develop and produce creative data visualizations across different platforms and devices
- Design complete digital experiences, visual elements, and interactive features
- Collaborate with team members and colleagues in the newsroom on stories that are important to Bloomberg News readers, including timely graphics related to planned and unplanned news events, as well as in-depth explanatory or investigative data visualizations
- Have experience or interest in topics core to Bloomberg News coverage, such as business, finance, markets, economics, technology, and government matters, and a willingness to develop expertise in these areas
To be successful in this role, you should have:
- Visual design skills with an understanding of layout, typography, and user experience, as well as familiarity with design software like Adobe Illustrator and Figma
- Experience with data reporting, including the ability to collect, manage, analyze, and manipulate data from various sources and formats using programming languages like R, Python, or other methods
You will have the support of editors and journalists from our collaborative global graphics team, but your ability to apply these skills and contribute to projects will be crucial. If you believe you are a good fit for this position, please submit an application including your CV, a brief letter introducing yourself, and a portfolio showcasing your understanding of data journalism, design, and development. If you have a Github account, please include the link.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity within the company. We do not discriminate based on age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law. Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustments/accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or perform your job, please inform us. If you prefer to discuss this confidentially, please contact the appropriate email address based on your region or seek support from our disability partner, EmployAbility.
This employer is a corporate member of myGwork, an inclusive business community for LGBTQ professionals, students, inclusive employers, and supporters of workplace equality.
10 Interview Questions You Might Get Asked
These are questions that we think might come up at some point during the interview process. It's worth prepping answers for the questions below, as well as other key areas you think will be important to secure the role.
- Can you tell us about your experience in creating compelling visual stories using data analysis and web development?
- What technical skills do you possess that enable you to implement your creative ideas through data visualization?
- Can you provide examples of your work in mapping, 3D, motion graphics, illustration, or other creative technologies?
- Are you passionate about reporting on issues of significance to readers in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, as well as a global audience?
- How do you approach collaborating with team members and newsroom colleagues on important stories?
- Do you have experience or interest in topics core to Bloomberg News coverage, such as business, finance, markets, economics, technology, and government matters?
- Can you discuss your visual design skills, including knowledge of layout, typography, and user experience?
- Have you worked with data reporting, including collecting, managing, analyzing data from various sources using R, Python, or other programmatic methods?
- Can you provide a brief overview of your portfolio that demonstrates your understanding of data journalism, design, and development?
5 Questions You Could Ask
Based on the job description above, here are 5 questions we think you could ask during your interview. Use them as a guide to help you write your own questions.
Remember: Always have at least 5 questions prepared for the interview. If you do not, you run the risk of looking unprepared.
- What types of data visualizations are most commonly used by Bloomberg News?
- Can you provide examples of projects that the Data Visualization team has worked on?
- How does the Data Visualization team collaborate with other departments at Bloomberg News?
- What is the typical process for creating a data visualization from start to finish?
- Are there opportunities for professional development and learning within the Data Visualization team?
Posted: 2023-11-18 00:00:00
FT or PT: full_time
Category: Creative / design / arts & media
Latest Blog Posts
Lisa Owiaji - Posted on 11th November 2023 at 20:11
The UK Civil Service Fast Stream program represents an exceptional opportunity for graduates aspiring to shape the future of public service. R...
Lisa Owiaji - Posted on 11th November 2023 at 18:35
Welcome to the civil service! As you embark on this new journey, here are ten crucial tips to help you navigate and thrive in your new role:...
Lisa Owiaji - Posted on 16th November 2023 at 17:29
A career in the UK Civil Service is more than just a job; it's a commitment to public service, and it starts with a well-navigated application process. As you consider this career path, understandi...
Lisa Owiaji - Posted on 5th November 2023 at 18:53
The UK Civil Service is renowned not only for offering a chance to contribute to the public good but also for providing its employees with a robust benefits and pension package. These benefits are ...
Lisa Owiaji - Posted on 5th November 2023 at 18:30
Embarking on a career in the civil service can be one of the most rewarding decisions you can make. The ...